[Butia-list] Articulo con reflexiones sobre "la comunidad hacker" y como su relacion con las universidades de ingenieria y tecnologia puede ser beneficiosa para ambos y que lamentablemente no se aprovecha a fondo

Daniel Larrosa dflc en cs.com.uy
Vie Mar 31 19:45:23 -03 2023

https://hackaday.com/2023/03/31/why-a-community-hackerspace-should-be-a-vital-part-of-being-an-engineering-student/

Creo que el articulo esta interesante, para todos quienes esten en carreras
tecnologicas y tengan afinidad por "meter mano" ya sea como hobby o como
parte de su trabajo o investigacion o que esten vinculados a facultades o
institutos tecnologicos.

Quizas el tono es un poco duro hacia las universidades, por estar visto
desde el lado de los "hackers buenos" y es mas aplicable a otros medios
donde las universidades y facultades son mucho mas grandes, manejan otras
cifras, otro tipo de proyectos y conexiones con la industria, pero creo que
de todas formas se pueden extraer conceptos e ideas aplicables para nuestro
medio.

*Un extracto*:

" ... a huge opportunity is being missed for universities to connect
engineering and other tech-inclined students with their alumni, enhance
their real-world skills, and provide them with valuable connections to tech
careers.

Yesterday I was at an event organised by my alma mater, part of a group of
alumni talking to them about our careers.  At the event I was speaking
alongside an array of people with varying careers probably more glittering
than mine, but one thing that came through was that this was something of a
rare opportunity for many of the students, to talk to someone outside the
university bubble. Yet here were a group of engineers, many of whom had
interesting careers based locally, and in cases were even actively hiring.
If only there were a place where these two groups could informally meet and
get to know each other, a community based on a shared interest in
technology, perhaps?

It’s not as though universities haven’t tried on the hackerspace front, but
I’m sad to say that when they fill a room with cool machines for the
students they’re rather missing the point. In some of the cases I mentioned
above the desire to own all the things with their own students-only
hackerspace was the thing that led to the community hackerspaces being
sabotaged. Attractive as they are, there’s an important ingredient missing,
they come from a belief that a hackerspace is about its facilities rather
than its community. If you were to look at a room full of brand-new
machines and compare it with a similar room containing a temperamental
Chinese laser cutter and a pair of battered 3D printers, but alongside a
group of seasoned engineers in an informal setting, which would you
consider to be of more benefit to a student engineer? It should not be a
difficult conclusion to make."

Saludos,
      Daniel